Monday, January 12, 2009

The True Meaning of Pictures: Shelby Lee Adams' Appalachia

Today's film (vs. movie, I'm all serious now) is the first film to be discussed by The Oldest Established Really Important Film Club or TOERIFC. I watched the film earlier today and then went to Ferdy on Films to read Marilyn's review and join in the discussion. The film is a documentary about photographer Shelby Lee Adams and his take on life in the Appalachians. The discussion so far is centered on whether Adams is manipulative, exploitative, poetic, documentarian or what. For me, Adams' work and the film raised a lot more questions than they answered and I'm actually not sure how I'm supposed to feel about either.

Photo of Berthie as featured in The True Meaning Of Pictures: Shelby Lee Adams' Appalachia. Click on the photo to go to Adams' blog.

No comments: