Tuesday, August 11, 2009

10 Film Books


Two posts in one day after weeks of nothing, it can only mean that I am avoiding doing something else I should be doing, in this case my homework (Jess is going to yell at me).

In May a meme went out from The Dancing Image to list the 10 film books that had the greatest impact on you and your film viewing/views of film. It was open to all that read the post and I have spent the last months reading the responses and buying books because of it. Because although I stopped collecting dvds with the advent of Netflix, libraries just don't do enough for me and I simply MUST BUY MORE BOOKS. To get to the point, growing up my film reading consisted of biographies: Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Gene Tierney, Louise Brooks and on and on. Other than reading From Reverence to Rape and The Genius of the System, I did not read books to learn about film, I read to learn about the actors. Now having grown up a bit, I am worshiping at the feet of sooo many film bloggers who all know far more than I and are able to write about film very eloquently. (see sidebar which is woefully inadequate, there are many more I need to add). So without any further ado, here is my list of 10 books I have purchased after reading what others have read or because of some other film blog influence:

  • A History of the French New Wave Cinema, Richard Neupert
  • American Movie Critics, ed. by Philip Lopate
  • Trash Cinephile, Blake Ryan
  • Ozu, Donald Richie
  • Essential Cinema, Jonathan Rosenbaum
  • 10,000 Ways to Die, Alex Cox
  • Godard on Godard
  • How to Read a Film, James Monaco
  • Asia Shock, Patrick Galloway
  • Surrealism and Cinema, Michael Richardson

Does a subscription to Cinema Retro count as well?

I'm not going to tag anyone because I'm pretty sure everyone has already been tagged. And now all I need is time to read them all.

No comments: