Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'tis a puzzlement

The King and I soundtrack has been in my head for days now, no idea why, but I digress.

I stopped buying dvds for the most part after getting Netflix because I had found that I would buy something, watch it once and it would languish on the shelf mocking me every time I walked by. Netflix ended that for me. But now, after receiving a notice that 2 more films that were available at the time I added them to my queue are no longer available (WTF!) I took a peek at my saved section, (is saved the nice way of saying dear person who pays us every month you're never, ever, ever, going to get to see these?) I don't think I've ever had something come off of the saved list. And it is now 29 films long, argh!!! I mean some of them I have seen like Pin and Shivers but for fuck's sake Doctor Zhivago is on the list!!! Of course some of these may not be available on dvd yet like Antichrist, but most are available at some store somewhere.

AND DOES NETFLIX HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST GIALLO???

Puzzlement: to buy or not to buy?

99.9
A Girl Cut in Two
Antichrist
Buster Keaton Rides Again/The Railroader
Doctor Zhivago
Fascination
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
Gregory's Girl
Judex
Kes
Death Walks at Midnight
Death Walks on High Heels
The Beyond
Pin
Room at the Top
Second Sight: Series 1
Shallow Grave
Shivers
The Addiction
The Case of the Scorpion's Tail
The Chapman Report
The Devil Rides Out
The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
The Stand: Disc 1
The Stand: Disc 2
The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
Torso
Victim

End rant...for now

3 comments:

Peter Nellhaus said...

I would say Judex absolutely. I have it in my collection, plus it comes with a second feature, Nuits Rouges.

Ed Howard said...

Peter seems to be assuming that's the Franju Judex listed there. Is it? Or is it the original Feuillade serial? I thought the Franju Judex/Nuits Rouges double feature was only released on DVD in the UK and therefore not available through Netflix. It really is a phenomenal film though. I haven't seen the Feuillade.

I liked A Girl Cut in Two, so it's worth a look if you're into Chabrol already. If not, however, there are many, many other Chabrol films I'd recommend before getting to that one.

Will Errickson said...

I've gotten a bunch of giallo from Netflix over the years, but recently it seems a lot of them have gone to "Save," no longer available. Are people stealing them en masse, perhaps a cult of Edwige Fenech worshipers?